Old random thoughts
Oh boy, where do I even begin with this parenting gig? At first, I thought it was all about raising my kids until they were old enough to wave goodbye and set off on their own adventures. But now? Now I realize that a parent's true job is to teach their children about who they are so the world doesn’t mold them into something they’re not. As the proud parent of five amazing kiddos, I’ve discovered that I’m not just a teacher; I’m a perpetual student in this wild classroom called life.
Reflecting on my upbringing, I can’t help but think about how my parents provided the basics—food, clothes, and shelter. I mean, hey, I never went without! But let’s be real: not all traditions are good ones. I’ve got to shake things up a bit! So, I’m making it my mission to engage with each of my children and build relationships that cater to their individual needs and wants. Because let’s face it, growing up in a divided household caused a lot of hurt, and I’m determined to create a united front in my own family.
Sometimes, it feels like we don’t have much to offer our kids beyond the basics. But that’s a total lie! What I bring to the table is my testimony—everything I’ve been through as a child, the mistakes I’ve made, and the lessons I’ve learned. We, as parents (or future parents), can provide so much more than just food and shelter. We need to shift our mindsets and be open to becoming better versions of ourselves.
A couple of qualities that I’m working on are patience and consistency. Oh boy, have I struggled with those! I’ve noticed that when I lack patience and consistency, it can hurt my kids. It took a lot of humility for me to realize that my selfish thoughts and behaviors were getting in the way of my parenting.
So, where do I see myself in all of this? I see myself enjoying the journey! The journey of becoming a better parent, a better mother, and just a better person overall. I want to take those tough times and mine them for wisdom, then share that wisdom with others. The love of being a parent comes naturally to me, as does the instinct to protect my little ones and help them achieve the best in life.
Now, I can’t lie—one of the toughest parts about being a parent is the feeling of being unprepared. Sure, I can read all the parenting books and watch all the videos out there, but nothing quite prepares you for the unexpected situations that come up. Those moments can be downright scary!
But here’s the kicker: being a parent has changed my life for the better. It motivates me to do more and be more. That’s why I’m going back to school—not just for my kids, but also because I dream of adopting or fostering more children in the future. Parenting has taught me the true meaning of selflessness, patience, understanding, and how to manage my time and finances. Most importantly, it has taught me how to love unconditionally.
Now, let’s talk numbers for a second. I really hope I did my math right because apparently, it would cost me $102,000 annually to raise my children and a whopping $1,567,000 until they’re all 18! Honestly, I don’t see how that’s realistic. I’ve never spent that much on two kids combined in a year! I mean, I use cloth diapers and swap them out for disposables at night or when we’re out and about. Plus, I love hitting up secondhand stores for baby clothes because, let’s be real, they grow out of them faster than I can say “time for a new outfit!” And don’t even get me started on food—I’m a huge believer in breastfeeding and whipping up fresh baby food with fruits and veggies from WIC.
Transportation? Everything we need is usually within walking distance, so I haven’t had to deal with that much. I know other parents might be spending a fortune and feeling emotionally drained, but I’m just grateful for the little things and the clever ways I’ve found to make it work.I’m reminded that parenting is a wild ride full of ups and downs, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.
And here’s a fun question to ponder: **What’s the most unexpected lesson you’ve learned from your own parenting journey?** Let’s celebrate the chaos and the beauty of it all!
Comments
Post a Comment