A Parent’s Journey: Teaching Beyond the Basics
When I first became a parent, I thought my main job was simply to raise my kids until they were old enough to venture out on their own. However, as I navigate the beautiful chaos of parenting five children, I've come to realize that there's so much more to it. I believe a parent's primary role is to teach their children about who they are—ensuring that the world does not mold them into something they’re not.
Reflecting on my own upbringing, I remember my parents providing the essentials: food, clothing, and shelter. I appreciate that I never went without, but I also recognize that not all traditions are beneficial. It’s become clear to me that I need to change the narrative for my own children.
One of the biggest shifts I’m making is in how I engage with each of my kids. I’m committed to building individual relationships that cater to their unique needs and desires. In my childhood, our household often felt divided, leading to hurt and pain. I want to create a united family atmosphere where we all feel connected and supported.
Sometimes, as parents, we may feel like we don’t have much to offer beyond the basics. But that’s a lie! What I bring to the table is my testimony—my experiences, my struggles, and the lessons learned from my mistakes. We can offer so much more than just the fundamentals; we can change our mindsets and consciously raise our children with intention and love.
Being a parent requires us to be willing to improve ourselves and not let pride or bad habits stand in the way. Two qualities that I believe are essential for all parents to cultivate are patience and consistency. I’ve found myself lacking in these areas at times, and it’s painful to realize how that has affected my children. It’s a humbling experience to acknowledge that I sometimes act out of selfishness, forgetting that my behavior impacts their lives.
For us to strive for better, we must first see ourselves as better. So, I ask you: where do you see yourself in your parenting journey? Let’s commit to growing together, learning from our experiences, and shaping our children into confident individuals who know their worth. Together, we can break cycles and create a nurturing environment that fosters growth, love, and understanding.
Comments
Post a Comment